2016 Commission Awards
The annual Arizona Game and Fish Commission Awards Banquet was held on Saturday, January 16, 2016, at the Arizona Grand Resort, 8000 S. Arizona Grand Parkway, Phoenix, Arizona 85044. The event honored the recipients of the 2015 Commission Awards that were selected at the Commission’s September 5-6, 2015 meeting. The purpose of these awards are to recognize Arizonans who have contributed significantly to the conservation of the state's wildlife, its outdoor heritage, and the mission of the Arizona Game and Fish Department.
The Arizona Game and Fish Commission held its first annual awards banquet on January 12, 1991. Since then, a total of 347 recipients have been recognized with Commission awards. The awards banquet gives the Commission an opportunity to recognize individual and organizational award recipients for their contributions to Arizona’s wildlife resources.
Many thanks go out to our sponsoring organizations that help make this event possible. This year’s sponsors were: Salt River Project, Yuma Valley Rod and Gun Club, Arizona State Credit Union, Arizona Elk Society, National Wild Turkey Federation – Arizona Chapter, Wildlife for Tomorrow, Arizona Wildlife Federation, Arizona Sportsmen for Wildlife Conservation, and Trout Unlimited – Arizona Council.
2016 Award Recipients
- Award of Excellence: Hildy Angius
- Award of Excellence: Mark Brnovich
- Youth Environmentalist of the Year: KJ Aldridge
- Outdoor Writer of the Year: Margaret Anderson
- Media of the Year: Rosie Romero Jr.
- Conservation Organization of the Year: Heritage Park Zoological Sanctuary
- Conservationist of the Year: Steve Clark
- Natural Resource Professional of the Year: Ray Suazo
- Volunteer of the Year: Chad Villamor
- Educator of the Year: Melanie Engstrom
- Mentor of the Year: Richard Williams
- Advocate of the Year - State: David Gowan Sr., Speaker of the House
- Advocate of the Year – Federal: Senator John McCain
- Buck Appleby Hunter Education Instructor of the Year: Patrick Headington
- Wildlife Habitat Steward of the Year: Spider Ranch
- North American Model Commissioners Award: Carol Lynde
- Chairman’s Award: SolidMen Hunt Club
Past Award Recipients