Disabled Veteran and Purple Heart License Information
- Applicable Arizona Statutes – A.R.S. 17-333(C)(3)
- Applicable Arizona Rules – R12-4-202
- AZGFD Laws and Rules
The Arizona Game and Fish Department is proud to announce a special benefit for Arizona veterans who have received the Purple Heart medal.
Effective Sept. 24, 2022, a Purple Heart recipient who has been an Arizona resident for at least one full year will be eligible to purchase a state combination hunting and fishing license for a 50 percent discount from the standard price.
Effective December 5, 2015, the Arizona Game and Fish Department is pleased to announce two exciting changes with the application process for the Disabled Veteran’s Hunt and Fish Combo. The first change no longer requires customers to have a signature notarized on the application form. The second change allows customers to download their VA Benefits Forms directly from the DoD-VA Website. All Arizona Game and Fish Regional Offices have computer access for those that would like to download their benefits forms.
An eligible applicant is a disabled veteran who has been a resident of Arizona for at least one year immediately preceding the application. A disabled Veteran’s License is issued to a disabled veteran who is receiving compensation from the United States government for permanent and total service connected disabilities rated at 100% disabling. A VA rating of 100% Individual Un-employability is not authorized to receive this license. Eligibility for the disabled veteran’s license is based on the disability rating, not on the compensation received by the veteran. The Disabled Veteran’s License grants all the privileges of a Hunt/Fish Combination License.
How to obtain a Disabled Veteran’s License
Visit your local Arizona Game and Fish Department office. Bring a copy of your VA benefits letter, or you may complete the application form below and include a copy of your VA benefits letter that states 100% disabled, permanent and total, and mail them to: Arizona Game and Fish Department, Attn: Front counter, 5000 W. Carefree Highway, Phoenix, AZ 85086. *Note: A paper license will be issued free of charge. A plastic card license may be purchased for $4. Include a check or money order if you are applying by mail.
How to obtain a Purple Heart License
The Purple Heart medal is presented to service members who have been wounded or killed as a result of enemy action while serving in the U.S. military. A Purple Heart is a solemn distinction and means a service member has greatly sacrificed themselves, or paid the ultimate price, while in the line of duty.
A Purple Heart recipient will be required to complete an application, and provide proof to the department that the person is a bona fide Purple Heart Medal recipient, and has been a domiciled resident of Arizona for one or more years immediately before applying for the license.
*Note: This benefit is not available for nonresidents.
- Process: Complete application form.
- Application: Reduced Disable Veteran’s License application form/ Purple Heart recipient application form, Disabled Veteran’s Complimentary License application form.
- Fee: None for 100% service connected disability. $42 for less than 100% service connected disability. $28 for Purple Heart recipient.
- License Expiration: 100% service connected disability license is valid for a lifetime from date of issuance. Less than 100% service connected disability license or Purple Heart recipient license is valid for a year from date of issuance.
- Additional Information: If the Department of Veterans Affairs certifies that the applicant’s disability rate of 100% is permanent and will not be reevaluated, a new certification is not required for renewal. If reevaluated in three years, the disabled veteran’s license will expire three years from the date of issuance.
- License Application may be processed and the license issued from the Phoenix Office or any Regional Office.
Visit the DoD-VA website to download your VA Benefits Forms DoD-VA Website