New opportunity to protect bonus points a real “Plus”
Posted May 4, 2022
PointGuard Plus offers additional tier of PointGuard service
PHOENIX — All of us know what it feels like to deal with the frustration and disappointment of an unforeseen event. After all, life happens.
That’s why the Arizona Game and Fish Department (AZGFD) is introducing “PointGuard Plus,” an innovative new product that will be available just in time for hunters who will be applying for 2022 hunt permit-tags for deer, fall turkey, fall javelina, bighorn sheep, fall bison and sandhill crane.
Whether an applicant purchases PointGuard Plus, or the standard PointGuard, he or she will have peace of mind in knowing they can surrender their hunt permit-tag for any reason, and the accumulated bonus points that were expended to draw that hunt permit-tag will be reinstated (see details below).
A bonus point is an accumulated credit that authorizes the department to issue an applicant additional computer-generated random numbers during a draw. An applicant accumulates a bonus point each year in which he or she submits a valid application and does not draw a hunt permit-tag.
So, what are the advantages of PointGuard Plus?
- For $25, an applicant will have the opportunity to surrender a hunt permit-tag and have their bonus points reinstated for all eligible big game species for three consecutive draw cycles from the date of purchase.
- PointGuard Plus can be purchased from the time of completing an online application, right up to the deadline to update credit card or debit card information (prior to AZGFD processing hunt applications). The fee is non-refundable.
- Only one hunt permit-tag may be surrendered, per species. If an applicant is drawn in the future for that particular species, that hunt-permit tag must be used, expending all accumulated bonus points. Only then may an applicant participate again in PointGuard Plus (and PointGuard).
- Those who purchase PointGuard Plus will receive priority positioning for the reissuing of hunt permit-tags that are surrendered by PointGuard members and non-members alike.
- A free AZGFD portal account is not required to purchase PointGuard Plus. A portal account is still needed for those applicants wishing to view their draw results, however.
- PointGuard Plus is completely discretionary.
- Like PointGuard Plus, standard PointGuard is available to all applicants when applying online for a hunt permit-tag.
- PointGuard is $10 per species (an increase of $5), per applicant, and also can be purchased from the time of completing an online application until the deadline to update credit card or debit card information. The fee is non-refundable.
- Only one hunt permit-tag may be surrendered, per species. If an applicant is drawn in the future for that particular species, that hunt-permit tag must be used, expending all accumulated bonus points. Only then may an applicant participate again in PointGuard (and PointGuard Plus).
- A free AZGFD portal account is not required to purchase PointGuard. A portal account is still needed for those applicants wishing to view their draw results, however.
- PointGuard is completely discretionary.
So, which tier of PointGuard service is the way to go? It really comes down to how many species an applicant chooses to hunt and, if successful in the draw, their willingness to risk losing their bonus points in the event they’re unable to participate in that hunt.
For example, an applicant who only applies once a year to hunt deer might choose PointGuard for $10 per species. On the other hand, if an applicant applies for multiple species in any of the fall, spring, or pronghorn and elk draws — or all three — being covered for three consecutive draw cycles from the date of purchase for $25 makes PointGuard Plus a tremendous value.
In either case, PointGuard Plus and PointGuard both provide the same opportunity for an applicant to surrender their hunt permit-tag for any reason and retain their coveted bonus points.
Here is the process to surrender a hunt permit-tag:
- A hunt permit-tag must be surrendered prior to the close of business the day before the start of that particular hunt.
- An applicant who has purchased PointGuard Plus or PointGuard will present the original hunt permit-tag to be surrendered, along with a completed tag surrender application form, in person to any customer service representative at any of the department’s statewide office locations. The documents also can be submitted by mail. All documents must be received no later than close of business one day prior to the beginning of a hunt.
- The hunt permit-tag being surrendered and PointGuard Plus or PointGuard purchase will be verified by the department.
- The department will restore all accumulated bonus points for that particular species, including the bonus point the applicant would have accrued if not successful in the draw.
- The hunt permit-tag fee is non-refundable.
A person who donates, or transfers, his or her hunt permit-tag to a qualified nonprofit organization, also can participate in tag surrender, provided the requirements listed above are fulfilled. An acceptable proof of the transfer must be provided to the department through a qualified nonprofit organization.
According to rule (R12-4-118), the department has several options for the reissuance of a surrendered hunt permit-tag. The proximity to the start of a particular hunt, the type of hunt permit-tag, and demand for that hunt permit-tag will factor into how it will be reissued.
For more information, call 602-942-3000.