“Open Range Day” is Saturday at Ben Avery Shooting Facility
Posted March 27, 2018
Explore, try and enjoy shooting disciplines on main range
PHOENIX — The Arizona Game and Fish Department is inviting all recreational target shooters, regardless of skill levels, to come and experience the many shooting disciplines available at the Ben Avery Shooting Facility.
“Open Range Day” will be 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Just check in at the main range gift shop, and for the price of a daily range fee ($7, or free for children under 18) go explore, learn and try your hand at archery, rifle and pistol silhouette, long-range shooting, benchrest, black powder cartridge, 3-gun and more.
As part of the department’s mission, the teaching of safe, responsible and ethical shooting practices is paramount. A range safety officer will be stationed on every rifle and pistol range to teach, coach and explain their shooting discipline.
Meanwhile, there is no requirement to join any of several local shooting organizations that will be on hand for the event. They include:
- Desert Sharpshooters: long-range shooting.
- Arizona State Rifle and Pistol Association: benchrest, pistol and rifle silhouette, black powder cartridge, junior smallbore and high power.
- Hassayampa Rod and Gun Club: rifle silhouette.
- Desert Sky Archery: Junior Olympic Archery Development.
- Cactus Combat Match League: United States Practical Shooting Association, steel challenge, 3-gun.
- Arizona Benchrest Shooters: benchrest shooting.
For more information about the Ben Avery Shooting Facility, visit https://www.azgfd.com/shooting/shooting-ranges/.