July 17, 2023
PINETOP, Ariz. — The Arizona Game and Fish Department (AZGFD) is hosting its 20th annual High Country Hummingbird Festival on July 29 at the Sipe White Mountain Wildlife Area near Springerville/Eagar.
The free, family-friendly festival will include:
- Hummingbird banding by Southeastern Arizona Bird Observatory.
- Plant displays to attract hummingbirds.
- Live wildlife from R Lazy J Wildlife Ranch.
- Live bird display from Arizona Game and Fish Department.
- Take a photo with a live critter at the critter photo booth.
- Activities for children/U.S. Forest Service will conduct its Junior Ranger Program.
- Informational talks about hummingbirds and bird calls of the White Mountains.
- Booths from local, outdoor-oriented organizations.
The event runs from 8 a.m. until noon.
The Sipe White Mountain Wildlife Area is located southeast of Eagar and Springerville. From Eagar, take Highway 191 toward Alpine for about two miles to the signed turnoff at the top of the first hill. Drive south five miles to the Sipe property on a gravel road suitable for passenger cars.
Come prepared to spend most of the morning outdoors with the potential of some summer rain. Parking can become extremely limited if the area receives rain. Rain or shine, carpooling is encouraged. Attendees are encouraged to check the weather forecast for the day of the event.
The Round Valley Chamber of Commerce has coordinated with several vendors to provide snacks, water, soft drinks, and lunch for purchase. This is a cash-only event, so come prepared and support the Chamber.
Pets must be kept on leash and are not allowed near live wildlife.
For more information, visit azgfd.com/wildlife/viewing/events/hummingbird-festival/ or call the Game and Fish office in Pinetop at 928-532-3680. The most current information and event schedule can be found on AZGFD’s Pinetop Regional Facebook page at facebook.com/AZGFDPinetop/.