What is Required to Hunt Doves in Arizona?
Dove hunting requires a valid license, and a migratory bird stamp.
A Hunters’ First Experience at Dove Hunting
Youth Learning to Hunt Dove – Video
What equipment do I need for dove hunting?
- A properly fitted shotgun in any gauge that you can shoot well
- Shotgun shells for your gun in shot size 7 ½ or smaller (the national average is five shots per dove harvested so figure 75 shells per limit of 15 doves)
- Clothing appropriate for the season (loose and breathable during the early season versus warm and comfortable for the later season)
- Well-fitting, comfortable boots
- Hearing and eye protection
- A cooler full of ice to transport your birds and water to drink
- Optional equipment: bird vest to carry birds and shells; camp chair; knife/scissors/game shears to process your birds in the field; resealable bags to store your processed birds in
Do’s and don’ts for dove hunting
- Leave one fully feathered wing attached to the bird for identification until you reach your permanent residence or the place the meat will be consumed
- Keep individual limits of birds separate from others while in the field, cooler and in transit
- Respect postings on private land and leave gates as found
- Make a reasonable effort to retrieve all downed birds
- Report violations to Operation Game Thief 1-800-352-0700
- Shoot within ¼ mile (440 yards) of an occupied structure while hunting unless you have permission
- Shoot from, across or into roads or railways
- Leave shotgun shells or other litter on the ground
- Hunt over waters all day — allow time for livestock to access water
- Consume drugs and/or alcohol while hunting or handling firearms
What about hunter orange?
Although clothing or equipment colored in hunter orange is not required in Arizona, it’ recommended when hunting in a group or near other hunters. It allows others to see at a distance and during the times where you may be moving through the thick cover to retrieve downed birds.
Want to Go Hunting in Arizona?
Find ways to experience big game and small game hunting or find a mentored hunt camp.