Oct. 30, 2023
PHOENIX — The Arizona Game and Fish Department (AZGFD) will make available 2,880 over-the-counter nonpermit-tags for nonresident archery deer hunters for the 2024 calendar year beginning at 8 a.m. (Arizona time) Thursday, Nov. 2, 2023.
The over-the-counter nonpermit-tags for nonresident archery deer hunters will only be sold online — on a first come, first served basis — at otcarcherydeer.azgfd.gov. They are no longer sold at third-party license dealers. Nonresidents with a Pioneer, Lifetime, or Benefactor license can only purchase their nonpermit-tag for archery deer from any department office or by mail (big game tag order form).
As a reminder, a resident hunter may purchase a nonpermit-tag for archery deer at any third-party license dealer or department office statewide. There are no restrictions on the total number of nonpermit-tags for archery deer available to Arizona residents.
A few additional reminders affecting both nonresident and resident hunters:
- A valid 2024 nonpermit-tag for archery deer is required to hunt all open seasons during the 2024 calendar year. For season dates, refer to pages 35-36 in the “2023-2024 Arizona Hunting Regulations.” Check online at www.azgfd.gov/ArcheryDeerReport for open areas; open areas will close when harvest limits are met. Some units have already reached their harvest limit and are closed for the January 2024 season.
- Harvest limits now apply to all archery deer hunts in Arizona. Harvest limits apply to hunts between August and January; they will reset each year in August. When the number of deer equaling the archery deer harvest limit for a unit and species has been reported, the unit will close to further archery deer hunting at sundown on the immediate Wednesday. The unit will remain closed until August of the next calendar year. All over-the-counter archery deer hunters are required to report their harvest either online (www.azgfd.gov/ArcheryDeerReport) or by telephone (623-236-7961) within 48 hours of taking their deer.
- Season dates for over-the-counter, nonpermit-tag archery deer seasons may vary by unit. For season dates, refer to pages 35-36 in the “2023-2024 Arizona Hunting Regulations.” Not all units are open for all time frames; hunters are responsible for checking if their desired hunt unit is still open prior to hunting by visiting www.azgfd.gov/ArcheryDeerReport. The harvest limits have been reached in some units, and these units are closed until the August 2024 season.
- The bag limit is one deer per calendar year. If a hunter harvests a deer during the over-the-counter archery season, that hunter may not take another deer (archery or general hunts) during that calendar year.
- A physical inspection is not required of a harvested animal taken during the over-the-counter archery deer season.
- AZGFD is strictly enforcing all changes, including failure to report a harvest and hunting in a closed unit.