Applicable Arizona Revised Statutes – A.R.S. §§17-231(A) (1), A.R.S. 17-238; A.R.S. §17-306
Applicable Arizona Rules – R12-4-423; R12-4-401; R12-4-409; R12-4-428; R12-4-106; R12-4-430; R12-4-427
Wildlife Rehabilitation License Checklist
- Process: Complete application form, submit payment, and secure approval through Regional Offices of the Arizona Game and Fish Department. Form 2723-A
- If necessary complete Form 2723-B
- If necessary complete Form 2723-C
- If necessary complete Form 2723-D
- Fee: $20.
- Name, address, telephone number, birth-date, and the physical description of the individual.
- Department ID number is applicable (a number will be assigned if this is a new application).
- Provide one or more of the following: proof of a minimum of six months experience performing wildlife rehabilitative work for an average of eight hours a week for the taxa or species of animal(s) listed on application, or that the applicant is a licensed practicing veterinarian, or has a valid license from another state or federal government allowing the individual to perform wildlife rehabilitation.
- Documentation that the applicant has answered 80% of the questions on the examination for the taxa or species to be rehabilitated within five years of applying for the license.
- Provide one or more of the following: that the applicant is a licensed and practicing veterinarian, or a statement from a veterinarian that has agreed to provide and be reasonably available to provide veterinary services for the rehabilitation of wildlife and the applicant is responsible for any veterinary expenses.
- Detailed description or diagram of the facilities where the applicant will hold the wildlife in compliance with R12-4-428.
- List the method(s) of disposing of the wildlife, placement in zoos, or another method as directed by the Department.
- Must be 18 years of age; or the applicant has a parent or legal guardian cosign the application and the signature is notarized.
- Permit valid for 3 years.
- Wildlife rehabilitation license holder shall keep a current log of all animals available on inspection at each premises authorized by the license.
- A final report of all wildlife held by the licensee and agents shall be submitted on or before January 31 of each year all wildlife handled in the previous calendar year. Included will be the licensee information, agents, permit numbers state and federal (if applicable) and itemized list of each animal held by the licensee and agents, species rehabilitated, date received, injury or reason for rehabilitation, final disposition, date of final disposition.
- If the applicant is going to have agents/sub-licensees, they must complete a form that will include their name, address, phone number, date of birth, physical description of the individual, address of the facilities where the wildlife will be housed, descriptions or diagrams of the facilities, types of wildlife to be rehabilitated.
By signing the application, the applicant and all agent attest to the following:
- All information is true to the best of their knowledge
- They are applying for the license for the sole purpose of restoring wildlife to the wild
- They understand that all wildlife remains the property of the state and shall be returned to the Department upon request
- The applicant is solely responsible for all expenses incurred, all actions taken under the license, including actions and omissions of all agents and assistants when they are performing activities authorized under the license
- The applicants, agents/sub-licensees privileges are not revoked in this state or any other state, or by the United States
- During the three year licensing period, the applicant will be required to attend Department provided and/or approved training of at least eight hours or more of continuing education classes on wildlife rehabilitation.
- Your state wildlife rehabilitation license will not be valid for any migratory bird until you have applied for and received a federal license.
- No wildlife held under this license can be used for any other purpose without requesting that it be transferred to another license.
- You may only transport wildlife under this license to one of your agents or a veterinarian for treatment or to another state wildlife rehabilitator or for shipment for final placement or for release.
Want to Get Involved with Wildlife Conservation?
Volunteer your time, or donate to help us with conserving and protecting our wildlife. When you purchase a hunting or fishing license online, resources go back into wildlife conservation.