BASF Clay Target Center Rules
Founded in 1957, the Ben Avery Shooting Facility (BASF), formerly the Black Canyon Shooting Range, is one of the largest publicly operated shooting facilities in the country.
Our world-class shooting range is a City of Phoenix Point of Pride. It has received a Five Star rating from the National Association of Shooting Ranges. This means that it is the best of the best at providing a quality recreation experience and is the first government facility to receive this designation.
Safety is EVERYONE’s Responsibility
Basic firearms safety rules apply at all times
- Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
- Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- Keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
- Know your target and what is beyond.
- Eye and ear protection must be worn at all times at the Ben Avery Clay Target Center (CTC).
- Only shotguns are permitted at the CTC. Shotguns may not be larger than 12 gauge and barrel lengths may not be shorter than 18½ inches.
- Lead shot only not larger than 7½ and loads greater than 3¼ dram equivalent may be used, no magnum loads. Buckshot, turkey loads, rifled slugs, steel shot, etc. are not permitted.
- Actions must be open and the shotgun empty of ammunition at all times, except in preparation to shoot.
- Pump and semi-auto shotguns shall be carried with the muzzle pointed up. Break-action shotguns may have their actions closed while in a cart or shotgun rack.
- Only load one shell unless shooting doubles in Trap, Skeet, or Sporting Clays. No more than two shells are permitted at any time. Shotguns must be shouldered while shooting.
- Shooting “pieces” is not permitted. Do not shoot at someone else’s target, shoot out of turn, or shoot twice at the same target unless permitted by sport rules (i.e., Bunker Trap, FITASC, and 5-Stand).
- Shoot only at authorized targets and only from designated shooting stations, pins, or pegs. Hunting is not allowed anywhere at the Ben Avery Shooting Facility.
- Please pick up your spent hulls once you have competed your turn or your round. Please do not place trash in the hulls cans or hulls in the trash cans.
- Authorized personnel ONLY downrange. Please ask a Range Master for assistance with clay target stations, fields, and machine problems or adjustments. Customers are not permitted to adjust, reposition, repair, or alter in any way any equipment at the CTC including, but not limited to, trap machines.
- Children under the age of 5 are not permitted on any ranges or courses. Only children over the age of 9, who are able to safely hold an operate the shotgun on their own, are permitted to shoot on the range.
- Children under 16 years of age must be accompanied by a responsible adult. Minor consent form Driving or walking off of marked trails or paths is prohibited. Non-Arizona Game & Fish Department automobiles are not permitted on cart paths.
- Orange cones on top of Trap Houses indicate a person is inside the house. No shooting or loaded guns are permitted on the field until the cone has been removed and all personnel are clear.
- Footwear, shirt, and pants/shorts/skirts or dresses are required at all times. Hats and closed toed shoes are highly recommended.
- All breakage credits must be requested on the same day the breakage occurs.
- Alcohol and illegal drugs are not permitted on the shooting range. Individuals under the influence of drugs or alcohol are prohibited from shooting. This may include over-the-counter and prescription drugs that can affect a person’s ability to operate machinery.
- Ben Avery Clay Target Center is a public range. Please share the fields with other customers.
- Safety is everyone’s responsibility. If you see unsafe firearm handling, you have the range’s permission to correct the problem. If someone is repeatedly unsafe, or you see someone violating the range’s rules, inform Range Staff immediately.
*Ben Avery Clay Target Center reserves the right to remove any person from this facility who, in the opinion of a Range Master or management, is performing any action that is deemed unsafe, disruptive, or is acting in an unsportsmanlike manner.
Want to Shoot at the Ben Avery Shooting Facility?
Shoot at the rifle and pistol range, or shoot at the clay target facility, or spend some time at our archery range.