Ben Avery Shooting Facility Rules
Founded in 1957, the Ben Avery Shooting Facility (BASF), formerly the Black Canyon Shooting Range, is one of the largest publicly operated shooting facilities in the country.
Our world-class shooting range is a City of Phoenix Point of Pride. It has received a Five Star rating from the National Association of Shooting Ranges. This means that it is the best of the best at providing a quality recreation experience and is the first government facility to receive this designation.
Always point the firearm in a safe direction
- Firearms must be pointed down range at all times and must be transported muzzle up.
- All muzzles must be over the red firing line when being discharged. There is no shooting from behind the shooting table.
- All firearms must be in a case or worn holstered on the strong side hip to enter and exit the range. Gun socks and scabbards will no longer be allowed as substitutes.
- Firearms must be cased and uncased at the concrete shooting tables only with the muzzles pointed down range.
Always treat the firearm as if it were loaded
- Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot at your target.
- You may draw and fire from the holster only from the strongside hip position.
Obey all range commands
- When entering a cease fire period, all firearms must be completely unloaded and all magazines removed in order for the firearms to be considered range safe.
- Everyone on the range must wear hearing protection and some form of eye protection.
- Shooters are responsible for the policing of all brass in their shooting area and returning their frames to the target bunker before leaving.
- Shooters may collect their own brass; however, they may not take any brass that is left by other shooters.
- Any medical issues must be reported to a Range master immediately.
- Children under the age of sixteen must be supervised by an adult at all times. They may not be left unattended at the shooting table.
- No children under the age of five are permitted on the range.
- Anyone under the influence of alcohol or impaired in any way will not be permitted to shoot.
- Shooters must abide by all commands issued by range personnel. Failure to abide by these range rules may result in the customer being asked to leave.
Never aim at anything you don’t intend to shoot
- All rounds must impact the berm. Shooters are responsible for every round they fire. If a round hits the mountain, the shooter must stop shooting immediately.
- All firearms must be aimed. You may not shoot from the hip or any other shooting position in which the shooter cannot properly utilize the sights.
- Do not shoot the frames. We assess a replacement fee for any broken frames.
- Shooting of wildlife is not tolerated.
Target and Firearm Restrictions
- Humanoid zombie targets and targets with human features are not permitted. Training silhouettes are allowed. Targets are subject to Range Master approval and must be removed if deemed incompatible with the family oriented facility we operate.
- Tracers, incendiary, explosive, specialty shot shells, and other similar rounds are strictly prohibited.
- Any firearms chambered in .50 BMG, or any round derived from .50 BMG, or producing kinetic force on par with .50 BMG is strictly prohibited.
- Shotguns may be used on the Main Range. All shotgun loads discharged on this Range must be lead and used in conjunction with target frames specifically designed for shotgun loads only. All shotgun frames must be placed at a minimum of 15 yards. All steel projectiles are strictly prohibited.
- Black powder firearms are permitted on the range. They must be loaded at the back bench and be primed or have the frizzen loaded at the shooting table. When the line is being cleared, all powder must be removed from the firearms.
- Fully automatic firearms are permitted, but they must be shot from a prone or benchrest position. This also applies to bump-fire firearms.
Want to Shoot at the Ben Avery Shooting Facility?
Shoot at the rifle and pistol range, or shoot at the clay target facility, or spend some time at our archery range.